Monday, October 24, 2016

Work trip, destination: a few citites in Louisiana

Traveling for work is always a tricky thing. My company paid for me to travel to Louisiana and set up and coordinate two weeks of meetings for teachers in the state. Does that mean that all I get to do is make sure the meetings run smoothly and then go to my hotel room, sleep, then do it all over again the next day, and not have any fun? NOPE! Nerp. Negative. It means I go to the meetings, do my job, and when my job is done, well, I get to experience the beautiful state I'm in! (And yes, since it was two weeks, there was a weekend included in there–read on to find how much of a lil' wanderer I was that weekend!)

This being my fourth trip to Louisiana within a year, I've become very familiar with directions (to the point of impressing my coworkers by not needing to map everywhere I'm going!) With each group of teachers, I've asked questions and gotten pro-tips on restaurants, things to do, places to visit, where NOT to go, etc. So needless to say, I was quite a good host in a state I've never lived in! Which was at times fun, at others confusing to colleagues, and for me, sometimes quite annoying to always have to be the one to decide on where to go and what to do. But for the most part, I liked playing hostess and getting to share the experiences with good people! (Well, mostly good people!)

Dallas, TX (yeah, I know it's not LA, but I was there. . . )

Flying through Dallas wasn't as bad as I anticipated it could possibly be. Every time I've ever flown through Dallas in the past, I've gotten stuck there. One time, it was stormy and there were closures and delays so much that they put us all up for the night in a hotel for all of 5-6 hours before the morning flight–this was a while ago. Another time was December 2016 when traveling to Toronto for my Nagymami's (grandmother's) funeral with my mom. It was not fun sleeping on the floor in the airport. So you understand my reluctance when I booked my flight–against my desire–Fresno-->Dallas-->Baton Rouge. It was against my desire because, well, let's just say, someone thought it would be better if I flew from Fresno, instead of driving to the "big city" (LA or SF) for a more direct route!  (Clearly, this person has never traveled through Fresno!)

I meet my co-worker in Dallas, which made the travel much more enjoyable (yes, I most definitely have co-workers I do enjoy surrounding myself with and working with!) So, nothing exciting about the rest of this story, we got on a tiny plane, and we arrived.

Baton Rouge, LA

The first week went by very quickly. There were the meetings, which ran smoothly, obviously. And then there were some fun dinners and some obligatory dinners with co-workers. But for the sake of not talking too much shit, I'll leave it at that.

Friday night was spent at a friend's house having a delicious home cooked meal. . .  after a week of restaurant-eating and fried-food-eating, this was heavenly! There were even vegetables on the plate!! Due to many factors (LSU game, LSU family weekend) okay, there was only one factor (LSU!) I had to play hotel hop over the weekend! Friday night I stayed at a hotel near the airport in Baton Rouge. The only thing that was remotely exciting about it was that the smoke detector went off in my room when I accidentally turned the heater on. I turned it off real quick and it stopped, but man, that was loud!

NOLA (New Orleans, LA)

Saturday morning I woke up and drove down to NOLA!! I met up with some friends for breakfast (well, by the time I got there it was lunch!) and walked around and went to some thrift stores (always a good time!) I got a lovely (inside scoop) tour of a beautiful church that my friend is a member of. What a beautiful treat! Here are some pictures.



The coolest thing is that they have buried a "time capsule" that is scheduled to be opened later this year. I kinda can't wait to see what is in it! It is a catholic church, Blessed Seelos. It's in a quaint neighborhood in NOLA.
I'd like to take a second and talk about friendships. . . wait, this sounds familiar, have I talked about friendships before?? I think so!! Will I talk about friendships again?? I think so!! Why? Because I literally make friends everywhere I go. Some people give me a hard time about this, i.e. tease me. Others are envious about this quality. I tell them, it's not that difficult, just talk to people (I do realize that this isn't easy for some.) But, I digress. The friends I have, often come from other friendships. For example, one friend introduces me to a new person, and then that person and I see each other more than the original friend and I do! haha! Not for any reason, just happens. Anyway, the reason this popped into my mind as I write today, is that these friends I met who gave me a tour of their church were these such friends. Introduced to me by a mutual friend, via email/Facebook/text, no less. But I've seen them more within the last year than I've seen the friend who introduced us! (Not for lack of trying. . .  we were actually both in Baton Rouge over the weekend and tried to connect, but it didn't work out!) Anyway. I love my friends. 

I was privileged enough to be able to visit the only National Park I would be close to in Louisiana, Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve.  That's the NPS website link. I found the park on the AllTrails app, and in my new National Parks Passport (yeah, I'm kinda a dork.) The path was about a 3-mile round trip, which is perfect for me. After a quick check in at the visitor's center to get the lay of the land, I set out on the path which was a raised wooden path in the middle of the swampland.




I saw many people along the trail, and was constantly checking in to see if they saw an alligator; this was my ultimate goal, to see an alligator. Along the way, I saw many gigantic spiders (which I later found out were called banana spiders, which according to Wikipedia are: "a genus of aggressive and venomous spiders of potential medical significance to humans." Um, OKAY! Glad I didn't come close to touching one! That would have been a nice warning, rangers at the visitor center! I also saw a raccoon (didn't get a picture), some lizards with blue tails, tiny fish, and many large birds (not sure what kinds).


At the end of the path (well, where I was to turn around and head back) there was a landing that was just on the edge of the swamp. It was a great location for a little tree pose, except there was no one around to take my photo. So, I made my first attempt at taking a timed photo by putting my phone in my shoe. Yep, so that means I'm only wearing one shoe, on a wooden platform, floating on a swamp, with alligators in it. (There were a couple of "takes;" this was the best one even though I had to rotate the image a bit!)

As I mentioned, my quest was to see an alligator. Yep, I saw one. At the very end of the trail. Here he (or she) is. . .
I'm gonna call her she, because, well, I don't have a reason, just taking a guess. . . Anyway, she pretty much didn't move the entire time I was there (probably about 7-9 minutes). At one point, I tried tossing a little grass on her, to see if she would even blink, but nope, she didn't! (Don't worry, I was pretty far from her, and have a good zoom on my camera (it's an iPhone after all!) Anyway, I felt like my trip to Jean Lafitte NP was complete after seeing her!

The parking lot to the park closed at 5pm, so I pretty much had to run out of the park to make it to my car so that I didn't get stuck in the park. I made it, phew! I had made a reservation at a hotel right in the heart of the French Quarter in NOLA for the night. My plan was to go to the hotel, shower and take myself to dinner at some fabulous place that had some amazing jazz music playing (as recommended by my aforementioned friend). I got to the hotel, and long story short, they didn't have my reservation for Saturday night, it was actually for Sunday night! (What a mess!) I very easily could have been overcome by frustration and emotion (basically, started crying) but I didn't. I was able to get the reservation refunded (by one of those third party websites that I'll never use again) and I was able to find a room to sleep in that evening. Here's the catch, it was in a town about an hour outside of NOLA. Well, there goes my plan to spend a fun evening listening to jazz music, eating yummy food in NOLA! I found myself back in the car driving to Houma, LA. I'm giving you a link to the map so you don't have to map it yourself.

Houma, LA (pronounced: Home-a)

After checking into the hotel that I booked on my Hilton app (on my phone, and confirmed via a phone call that I had a reservation before I drove an hour to get there) and after a much needed shower I asked the front desk staff for a recommendation for a local restaurant. She directed me to "Big Al's." I had the most delicious alligator I've ever had ( I've only had it 3 times, this was the second!) I met some more friendly, fun people, the bartender and his friend. We had some beers, talked a lot about the Saints (I think I met the biggest Saints fans in the world!) and they schooled me on the pronunciation of their city. They also had some good tips on scenic routes to take to Baton Rouge the next morning, and some places to visit along the way.

Guys, I took the Sunshine bridge and I stopped at The Coffee House and had beignets, and did some shopping at The Cajun Village. But you failed to mention to me that there is an alligator who lives there, and I did NOT get to see him. Guess I'm gonna have to come back at some point!


Back to Baton Rouge, LA

The second week of my work trip to Louisiana had mixed emotions. I guess life does have to balance itself out once in a while. I met some great people and had some not so great experiences with people I already knew. I could dwell on the negative experiences, but that's not me, nor is that what this blog is about. The highlight of the week was taking a drive, about 35 minutes north of Baton Rouge to Port Hudson State Historic Site. Luckily, I was able to convince a colleague to join me on the hike, because it would have been quite scary to do alone. It seemed as though there hadn't been anyone on the paths for a couple of weeks (although, it may have been only a few days) due to the amount of spiders who had decided to build their intricate webs across the path! (I mean, like, the kind you would run into, face first, if you weren't watching where you were going!) This ALMOST happened a couple of times! Some of the spiders we encountered were definitely of the "potential medical significance to humans" variety noted above. 

Port Hudson was home to a significant battle in the state of Louisiana–they have reenactments there every year. There were many cannons, educational placards, and descriptions of the battle. It was an ideal location for a battle. Oh, and I felt compelled to do tree pose, especially since I didn't have to use my shoe and there was someone to take my picture!




Los Angeles, CA 

I think my positive Dallas travel experience saved itself for the return trip through Houston. This time it was even more fun with the travel plan that took me from Baton Rouge-->Houston-->Los Angeles-->Fresno. Relying on three planes to connect after two weeks of traveling is not exactly the smartest travel move (but again, not my idea!) So, I ended up missing my flight from LA to Fresno. Luckily, I have friends everywhere and got to spend some much-needed time with a friend in LA. Made a potentially annoying ending much more positive and fun! I love my friends.

Italics indicates sarcasm!

Side note: I'm reading Amy Schumer's book, "The Girl With a Lower Back Tattoo". She is one funny gal! Anyway, highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment